Sunday, April 27, 2014

Tony Award Nominations soon!

Today I found out that Tony nominations come out on the 29th (one day before my birthday!) and I am SO EXCITED, I've been looking forward to the Tonys.... since the last one. I'll have to wait till June BUT I CAN MAKE IT.

I wonder who will be nominated. The shows for this season that I have seen so far are:

  • Aladdin
  • Big Fish
  • First Date
  • If/Then
  • No Man's Land/Waiting for Godot
  • Rocky
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Soul Doctor
I'll be seeing Hedwig and the Angry Inch a week or so before the award show airs. And later on in June and September I'll see The Cripple of Inishmaan, Les Miserables and Cabaret. And I still want to see other shows.
  • After Midnight
  • Beautiful - The Carole King Musical
  • A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder
  • Violet
So many great shows to see this Broadway season, and this one in particular has been pretty special! Aladdin was my 100th Broadway/Off Broadway show (including repeats). Full list here.

Here are some quick reviews:

Aladdin: This was a pretty enjoyable show. I left leaving kind of unsatisfied, because it is a Disney production I was expecting to be completely blown away. Like with Lion King. Some of the changes to the story annoyed me... there was no Abu!!! But James Monroe Iglehart, the actor who played Genie, was FANTASTIC. Honestly, I'd watch that musical just for him.

Big Fish: Because Big Fish is one of my all time favorite movies, I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out that it would become a Broadway musical. That and Moulin Rouge! were my top two picks to become shows. I'm still waiting for Moulin Rouge to come! Anyway, back to Big Fish. It was...okay. There were a couple songs that I really really enjoyed: "Time Stops" and "Fight the Dragons". I still remember the songs and can sing them in my head or quietly hum them. If a song sticks with me, I know I couldn't dislike the musical too much. I should also add that I thought the leads, Kate Baldwin and Norbert Leo Butz, were great. I was freaking out so much when Norbert came out on stage because Fiyero!

First Date: I didn't get to see Zachary Levi because he was at SDCC. *sigh* But his understudy was good. Honestly I was not impressed by this musical and don't have much to say about it. Meh.

If/Then: I saw this today and LET ME TELL YOU, Idina Menzel is FAAAAAANTASTIC. I couldn't wait to see this musical because 1) Idina Menzel. 2) Anthony Rapp (it's like a mini Rent reunion!) 3. Tom Kitt, who worked on the Next to Normal musical which I reallllllyyy like. I admit, I felt like the show was too long. I was sitting in my seat during the first act just waaaaiting for it to end. There is a lot of music, and Idina seemed to have had a lot of solo songs which is totally fine be me. This show drained me emotionally, I was not prepared. Overall, I very much enjoyed it. and I need the soundtrack NOW. For Idina's super awesome amazing perfect singing.

No Man's Land/Waiting for Godot: I'm not ashamed to say that the main reason I saw these plays was for Ian McKellen. How could I pass up the chance to see Gandalf in person?? I liked the plays just fine, I feel like most of the content just went over my head. It was either that or I was too distracted by seeing Sir Ian (and Sir Patrick) on stage.

Rocky: I was pretty skeptical when I first read that there was going to be a musical based off of Rocky. Singing boxers??? How were they going to make that work? Well, I was pleasantly surprised, and the final boxing match was pretty cool to watch. There are a few songs (tunes and lyrics I can't remember) that I want to have on my ipod RIGHT NOW, but I have to wait until the soundtrack is released.

Romeo and Juliet: Let me start by saying that I CRIED when I saw Orlando. Full on tears. I was bracing myself in the theater before the show started, I didn't know how I would react. Orlando was the first LOTR actor I saw in real life, and having him mere rows of seats away from my was so surreal. I didn't cry initially when I saw Ian but that may be because I saw him months after seeing Orlando. I got over my LOTR cast shock. Sort of. I'm not going to pretend I'm a huge Shakespeare fan, I don't know much of his plays, most of his writing doesn't stick. All I remember from that play was Orlando.

Soul Doctor: A pretty good musical, I enjoyed it. Didn't love it though. I don't have much to say about it, but I liked it just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment