Friday, May 30, 2014

Tolkien Artist Fridays: Gerwell

Since I'm currently in summer vacation I thought I should do some more blogging and one of the ideas I had was so showcase a different artist every week until my fall semester begins. I make no promise that I will not miss a week or two (or three or five) but I'll try my best to keep up with it! I thought that I'd start this series off with one of my absolute favorite artists, Gerwell. I did get to interview him for Middle-earth News a little over a year ago, and since then he has posted so much beautiful work. I admit that I don't know much about the earlier ages of Middle-earth, most is foreign to me, but Gerwell's work just gives me more desire to try and tackle The Silmarillion again. I see his interpretations for characters like Eönwë, Varda, Sauron, and immediately feel like I need to know more about them. And since these characters haven't been in movies it gives artists more freedom to decide how they want them each to look like. I've seen Silmarillion artwork from a lot of people, and what amazes me is that no work looks the same. Everyone has their own vision, it's amazing!

Gerwell has posted many pieces of Eönwë and not all of them are the same. Look at the amount of detail! I pretty much want one of everything he is wearing.



And then there's this artwork of Manwë that still causes me to be speechless. The first time I saw it I had to look at every detail because how could I not??

Can we talk about his Sauron work? Because WOW.
Gerwell's fantastic artwork makes me feel inferior as an artist...but in the best way possible??? If that makes sense. Definitely make sure to look at all of his work via his Tumblr and Deviantart accounts.

1 comment:

  1. Man. This is so great! I love seeing non-PJ'd up Tolkien art. Also, Sauron? HELLO.

    ReplyDelete