Saturday, May 31, 2014

BookCon and Books

Today I met up with a friend to go to BookCon at the Javits Convention Center. We didn't really know what to expect but we each had plans to go to specific panels. I wanted to get Cary Elwes' autograph and go to his panel for reasons. One of the reasons is because I've had a crush on him since I was a kid I mean what. Anyway we got there around the time it was opening so we had to wait in line outside. Looking around we noticed that there were a lot of teenagers, we guessed it was mainly because John Green and Cassandra Clare were guests.

We thought we would get to see a lot of great books, get some cool freebies and buy a bunch of stuff. This convention was not what we had in mind AT ALL. BookCon was basically a convention just for YA novels. There were some books for children and a section here and there with art books and other stuff like that (which I would have GLADLY bought but they were pretty expensive). Young adult novels everywhere, they all ended up looking the same. The only thing I bought was an Adventure Time book with 20 art prints, totally worth it. Twenty beautiful prints for less than $20. YES PLEASE. My friend got that and a book of story board art from Star Wars. I bet all the good stuff was at Book Expo.

We circled around, saw everything and decided to go downstairs to where all the panels were. We ended up sitting behind a trashcan and at one point someone threw out their garbage, missed, and it landed on us. We were trash. That was my BookCon experience. (Ha) We thought about sticking around for our panels but eventually decided against it. BookCon would have been a lot more fun for me if I was 14 years old again.

We walked to a movie theater after leaving the convention theater and saw X-Men: Days of Future Past, definitely a better choice than BookCon. I enjoyed the movie A LOT, yes good movie. I won't put anything spoilery in this post about it.

After seeing the movie and grabbing lunch I headed off to Union Square to check out a couple used bookstores because I felt like I needed to treat myself after the disappointment that was BookCon. There were some decent Tolkien finds in one of the bookshops, and I bought a copy of LOTR and Roverandom. There was also a copy of Farmer Giles of Ham that I was so close to getting before I saw it cost $40. I also got a book on Japanese patterns.
At the second bookshop I visited I got a book about oriental carpets because heck yeah those designs are great, a book about Morocco with some great photos in it and one on Toulouse-Lautrec.

The day started of ehhhhhh but it eventually got better. Thanks to MORE BOOKS.

And just something else...GOT 3 As AND 2 Bs THIS SEMESTER OOOOOOHHHHH.

No comments:

Post a Comment